Whenever I start teaching at a new locale, my inaugural class is “Raw Foods 101” – teaching the basics of the raw foods/raw fusion lifestyle with demo’s of delectable green smoothies and scrumptious salads.
It’s always very uplifting for me to get enthusiastic feedback from participants on how they are integrating green smoothies into their lifestyles and how their families are also enjoying them. Often they share their favorite recipes with me, but invariably their concoctions contain ingredients that I would not recommend.
I admit to being a purist on green smoothies: While experimenting from time to time with adding some nuts, nut milk, protein powders, dairy etc. is perfectly okay – hey, variety IS the spice of life, after all — I am extremely loyal to Victoria Boutenko’s (Green for Life) marvelous creation and believe that the formula works, as is
Here’s the perfect formula for a green smoothie:
- 40% Greens (spinach, chard, collard, kale, lettuce, sprouts, edible weeds, etc.) placed in the blender first, closest to the blades +
- 60% fruit of your choice or combination of them (of course you can always have one ALL green) +
- about 2 inches of filtered water +
- Ice – they always taste better and go done more smoothly when nice and cold
Tip: adding 1/2 to 1 banana or some mint leaves does wonders for camoflauging the “green” taste
Blend and enjoy!
Options: If you need to sweeten it up a bit, some stevia, xylitol (birch-derived is best), honey, maple syrup or even a few dates.
Occasionally I add some Superfoods (chia gel, maca, mesquite, hempseeds, goji, acai or goldenberries) if the smoothie is going to be my sole food intake for several hours. (I’ll be doing lots of posts on Superfoods soon!)
What I don’t recommend adding to your green smoothie:
Protein powders, nut milks, yogurt, dairy milk, oils, nuts (other than hemp seeds, occasionally)
None of those items are necessary! There is plenty of protein in the greens, so no need to add any protein powders, vegan or otherwise. Fats don’t mix well with the greens and fruits – those would make for poor food combining, thus cancelling out some of the benefits of the smoothie.
About once a week I make an absolutely sinful Superfoods Shake – those have protein powders, nut milks and loads of superfoods. And I will share that recipe very soon.
Until then, below are 2 green smoothie recipes that are always a hit in my classes, dinners or workshops. For more information on the amazing benefits of green smoothies and lots of “creative green-ing” tips, see Volume I of Raw Fusion: Better Living Through Living Foods.
THESE SMOOTHIE RECIPES BELOW ARE VERY APPEALING TO KIDS!
RASPBERRY RAZZLE DAZZLE
Ingredients: 1/2 bunch of swiss chard, 1 apple, 3/4
cup fresh or frozen raspberries, 1 banana, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, filtered water, ice (optional)
Directions: Place washed greens first in blender or Vitamix, cut apple, discarding the seeds, add the rest of the ingredients and add about 2 inches of water. If you like it cold, add some ice. Blend until smooth and add sweetener, if needed.
Watch me make a Green Smoothie here:
How to Hide Veggies in Smoothies — powered by ehow
Note: Because of the raspberries, the coloring on this blend comes up more of a brownish red. Most of your smoothies will be quite green. To get kids past the “ick” factor either put the drink in a covered sippy cup or tell them that the green makes it some kind of “monster mush” with special powers. They will love green smoothies if you add bananas or mint!
TROPICAL TREASURES SLUSHIE
1 bunch of cilantro – use mainly the leaves
1 cup of pineapple
1/2 cup of strawberries
1/4 cup of water and lots of ice.
BLEND AND BLISS OUT!
For more Green Smoothie recipes see Raw Fusion Recipes.
New! Easy Detox
Do you find it difficult to complete detoxes, like the Master Cleanse, that demand deprivation and difficult regimens? Check out my brand new program, S-Tox™: A Smarter Way to Detox. S-Tox is a simple, stress-free, satisfying way to detoxify your system. You enjoy wholesome Super Smoothies, Scrumptious Shakes, Soul-Soothing Soups, Satisfying Salads, and Sensational Snacks — that keep you feeling full while flushing away toxins. Best of all, a health coach will guide you through the process!
Your S-Tox™ complete smart detox package includes:
- EASY, SATISFYING detox plan with NO DEPRIVATION
- FREE CONSULTING session with a health coach – your detox questions answered or your 4-day food journal reviewed by a wellness pro
- ESSENTIAL TOOLS to get started and succeed – including shopping lists, meal planners, and food journals
- FIVE RECIPE BOOKLETS packed with wholesome, mouth-watering Smoothies, Salads, Soups, Shakes, and Snacks!
- HOURS OF AUDIO from a leading motivational expert to cement positive changes
- NINE E-BOOKS and cheat sheets from leading wellness experts – featuring HUNDREDS of favorite recipes
- FREE OR DISCOUNTED ENROLLMENT in our other popular courses, including Food Group Therapy: Alkalinity Challenge
- INSTANT, CONVENIENT ACCESS online to all course materials, including an exclusive support forum
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION to commemorate your effort!