1. Have a couple of pieces of fruit about an hour before the main meal.
2. Drink a glass of water or seltzer one half hour before your meal – if at all possible avoid drinking liquid with your meals as it interferes with digestion.
3. Food combining is key – if you really crave some meat, poultry or fish, have it with only salad and veggies but no starch (rice, stuffing, potatoes corn, beets). If you prefer the starch, mix that with green veggies and salad. Your stomach will thank you – you will avoid that bloated feeling and not have to loosen your pants! Have a second meal a few hours later and then you can switch it out and enjoy what you “denied” yourself before.
4. After dinner have a cup of hot herb tea instead of diving right into dessert. Try peppermint, chamomile or lavender teas, which will relax you and help digest your meal more easily
5. Take a break! Go out and get some air – maybe play with the kids or take a walk around the neighborhood before dessert. This gives the main meal a chance to settle and gets you up and moving (and bonding)!
6. Having some dessert is fine as long as you wait about an hour after your meal. Start with a small portion and enjoy it with a second cup of herb tea.