Several years ago I switched to a natural spray deodorant from Crystal Essence that is made without the dangerous (possibly cancer-causing!) ingredients of aluminum, propylene glycol, parabens, phthalates and triclosan. I find this blend (lavender and white tea) pleasant and effective. Plus, a little goes a long way, so one bottle lasts for at least 6 months.
If you are still using a conventional deodorant — the kind that have commercials on TV, I strongly recommend reading the ingredient list. If you see any of those mentioned above, this might be a solution for you.
Scroll down for my review and the recipe!
Make your own for pennies!
I saw this recipe on Dr. Oz a few days ago and since I have all of the ingredients on hand, decided to whip up a batch right away. I cleaned out a cosmetic jar and mixed the ingredients in the order listed per the creator’s recommendation. They still do fizz over, so use a deep bowl to avoid a geyser.
Coconut oil has a lot of antioxidants; by applying this product to your underarm, not only are you going to absorb the beneficial goodness through your lymph nodes, this will also soften your skin!
You will use the essential oil of your choice for giving your homemade deodorant a natural fragrance, or a combination. One of the most useful essential oils to have on hand in your medicine chest is lavender. Check out my Lavender Love Affair article to learn about all of the amazing applications of this remarkable healing oil. I love rose, neroli (orange blossom), rosemary, lime – the recipe calls for 5 drops; I used 10 in mine as I wanted to have some of my favorite orange blossom scent, but it still has only a very faint fragrance.
So the burning question — does it work? I found it pretty effective. Yesterday I wore it in the morning before a 4 mile racewalk and did not notice any wetness or body odor. According to Dr. Oz, the lemon and vinegar in this recipe would neutralize and deter bacteria, which is what causes the unpleasantness. Today not only did I use it for the racewalk, it was cleaning day and I didn’t get a chance to shower until later in the day, and still felt (and smelled!) fresh! Therefore, I say – give it a try! My husband is going to try some Friday when he goes to play hockey.
Natural Deodorant Recipe
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 5 drops essential oil of your choice or combination
- 2 TB. virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- Juice from ½ lemon
Directions: Add each ingredient to a deep bowl and blend with spoon or spatula. Pack into clean glass jar. To apply scoop up about 1/2 teaspoon and rub under each arm. You can use a little spatula or q-tip to keep from contaminating the deodorant cream since there is no preservative in this homemade version. This recipe should last 2-3 weeks.
NEW! Dr. LJ is now a contributor for The Huffington Post! Check it out here.
Do you need to detox?
Your body functions best when it periodically cleanses itself of accumulated toxins and free radicals that lead to inflammation, body aches, impairment and disease, and contribute to the aging process. My brand new program, S-Tox™: A Smarter Way to Detox, is a simple, stress-free, satisfying way to detoxify your system. GET 20% OFF WITH CODE STOX20! You enjoy wholesome smoothies, shakes, salads, soups, and snacks that keep you feeling full while flushing away toxins. Best of all, a health coach will guide you through the process!
Your S-Tox™ complete smart detox package includes:
- EASY, SATISFYING detox plan with NO DEPRIVATION
- FREE CONSULTING session with a health coach – your detox questions answered or your 4-day food journal reviewed by a wellness pro
- ESSENTIAL TOOLS to get started and succeed – including shopping lists, meal planners, and food journals
- FIVE RECIPE BOOKLETS packed with wholesome, mouth-watering Smoothies, Salads, Soups, Shakes, and Snacks!
- HOURS OF AUDIO from a leading motivational expert to cement positive changes
- NINE E-BOOKS and cheat sheets from leading wellness experts – featuring HUNDREDS of favorite recipes
- FREE OR DISCOUNTED ENROLLMENT in our other popular courses, including Food Group Therapy: Alkalinity Challenge
- INSTANT, CONVENIENT ACCESS online to all course materials, including an exclusive support forum
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION to commemorate your effort!