Online Nature Therapy Certification
You can Help Others Reconnect with Nature’s Healing Power
- Flexible distance program can be completed on your own schedule
- Among industry’s lowest tuition, plus flexible payment options
- All required materials included
- No overnight or extended travel required
- Actionable tools to engage positive nature contact with your clients
- Hit-the-ground-running curriculum focused on key success skills
- Training individualized to your region and interests
- Quality assurance: we have graduates all around the globe
“Having a lot of fun reading the materials and working on the assignments. Love a program that puts many of my knowledge and interests together. Big thumps up.” ~ Manuela
One-time tuition payment includes all materials.
Meet the Instructors
The Academy prides itself on its mentorship. From enrollment to graduation, your instructors will be accessible and responsive to your needs and growth.
Cortney Cameron holds a B.A. in earth and ocean sciences from Duke University, an M.S. in earth science from North Carolina Central University, where she was an NSF Graduate Research Fellow, and an M.B.A. from the Smartly Institute. She is a hydrogeologist working in water resources in the state of Florida. She has served as Secretary for the Southeastern Geological Society and is a member of the Religious Naturalist Association. She is the co-author of Nature Spirit Walks Tarot and the Catians comic book, author of the Geologist in Love poetry collection, and has published several creative and scientific presentations and publications.
LindaJoy Rose, PhD is a therapist, author, professional speaker, international trainer, and Academy founder with over 25 years of experience. The author of eight books, she contributes regularly to The Huffington Post and has frequently starred as a Healthy Living Expert on eHow.com and Tampa NBC affiliate Daytime TV. As a former director for the American Board of Hypnotherapy, she is a pioneer in subconscious dynamics and clinical hypnotherapy. She also spearheaded a healthy lifestyle retraining program with an Astra-Zeneca Foundation grant at one of the nation’s largest clinics. Dr. Rose developed her practical lifestyle philosophy to overcome a debilitating auto-immune disorder, which she combined with her background in psychology to launch the Academy’s coaching program.
Curriculum & Materials
The program runs 40 hours (70 hours for the optional advanced track – no additional cost) and can be completed in 1-6 months. The 6-module multidimensional curriculum is customized to your needs and balances naturalism, spirituality, and practical skills for successful nature walks. Each module includes several small projects to help you master key concepts.
- Module 1: Nature Therapy
- Module 2: Natural History
- Module 3: Spiritual Nature
- Module 4: Practical Aspects
- Module 5: Nature Spirit Walk Template
- Module 6: Practicum
- Define “nature therapy” and the Guide’s non-clinical role in that process.
- Summarize how and why nature walks are beneficial to people.
- Discuss why people are spending less time in nature and how to remove those barriers.
- List the aims and advantages of Nature Spirit Walks for fostering positive experiences in nature.
Materials included: Nature Spirit Walks: 22 Sensory Activities to Enjoy in Nature book, Module 1 Workbook, About Nature Therapy Infographic, Types of Nature Therapy Infographic, Using Science to Evaluate Claims Sheet, Licensing Considerations Sheet, 8 Peer-Reviewed Scientific Articles on Nature Therapy, Nature as a Guide e-book, Addressing Fears of Nature Sheet, Various Video Resources
- Identify your region’s biome and eco-region.
- List your region’s important geologic, geomorphologic, hydrologic, or biogeographic features and their natural and cultural history.
- Explain how all of the above influence your region’s characteristic modern flora and fauna.
- Identify the region’s most common, characteristic, important, notable, or iconic trees, plants, birds, mammals, insects, reptiles, and/or fish.
- Explain how the above influence the region’s culture and economy, including traditional goods, industry, and food.
- List techniques for effective and respectful wildlife viewing.
Materials included: Module 2 Workbook, Wildlife Viewing Tips Infographic, Nature Yearbook Template, Ecological Regions of North America Article, Resources on Your Ecoregion, Various Video Resources
- Develop an individual definition of “spiritual” and discuss how nature can be incorporated into this concept.
- Describe mindfulness and its relationship to nature therapy.
- Describe how to navigate multicultural beliefs regarding nature and spirituality.
- Define “archetypes,” elaborate the utility of archetypes to Nature Spirit Walks, and list nature-specific examples of archetypes.
- Discuss spiritual or cultural principles or beliefs associated with your region’s key flora and fauna, including interpretations from mythology, folklore, religion, tradition, or your own personal experiences or beliefs.
- Describe spiritual associations with the geologic, geomorphologic, hydrologic, or biogeographic features found in your region.
Materials included: Module 3 Workbook, Spiritual Nature Infographic, Mindfulness in Nature Infographic, Animal Speak Excerpt, Archetypes Handouts, 31 Nature Poems, 2 Peer Reviewed Scientific Articles on Mindfulness, Peer Reviewed Scientific Article on Nature Connection, Example of Interpretation of Geologic Features, Various Video Resources
- Describe interpretation and list interpretative techniques that can be used in Nature Spirit Walks.
- Identify common natural hazards in your region and discuss risk management techniques for them, including participant briefing.
- Discuss group dynamics and illustrate basic techniques to manage groups.
- Explain how to utilize “Leave No Trace” principles in Nature Spirit Walks.
- Locate and select appropriate settings to hold a Nature Spirit Walk.
- Describe the “sales funnel” and how you can utilize it to attract participants.
Materials included: Module 4 Workbook, Practical Aspects Infographic (Selecting a Trail; Trail Safety; Marketing), Trail Etiquette Infographic, Interpretive Techniques Handouts, Sample Waiver, Making a Difference Excerpt, Business Worksheet, Managing Groups Handout, Environmental Education in Urban Areas Handout, Various Video Resources
- Describe the Nature Spirit Walk Template, list its key features, and explain how the setup can translate into a positive experience for participants.
- Develop specific Nature Spirit Walk activities.
Materials included: Module 5 Workbook, Nature Spirit Walks Template Worksheet, Nature Spirit Walks Template, Survey and Debriefing Worksheet, Custom Guided Activity Worksheet, Various Video Resources
- Plan, design, conduct, and analyze a Nature Spirit Walk.
Materials included: Module 6 Workbook, Nature Spirit Walks Guide Business Cards, Graduation Certificate (upon graduation)
The last time you ventured into nature, how did it make you feel? If you’re like most people, you came away feeling uplifted, all-around better. After all, research shows that spending time in nature (also known as nature therapy, ecotherapy, and forest bathing) makes people happier and healthier. Yet, people are spending less time in nature than ever before.
What if you had actionable tools to help effectively share nature experiences with others? As a Certified Nature Spirit Walks Guide, you’ll help your clients reconnect with nature in ways that work for them, with all of the benefits that entails.
Nature Spirit Walks can be completed in as little as half an hour at minimal cost and physical exertion, while still providing an intensive and uplifting experiential and spiritual interaction with nature. You facilitate the process by providing structure and comfort, sharing contextual information about local nature, identifying and interpreting key features, and leading specific mindfulness activities.
The program features among lowest tuition in the industry, requires no extended travel, and includes all the materials you need, saving you time and money. Plus, the Natural Wellness Academy has certified wellness coaches all over the world, so you can trust you’re receiving a quality education.
The comprehensive curriculum weaves together aspects of naturalism, spirituality, the science of nature therapy, and practical skills such as trail leadership and interpretation and business basics. You’ll master a flexible framework for facilitating safe and positive nature experiences for your participants.
If you love nature and enjoy spending time in nature, you already have the most important traits of a successful nature therapy guide. Our program can take you the rest of the way, sharing proven tools and techniques for growing your business and helping your clients rekindle their nature bonds.
We feel this work is important for improving well-being for people and nature, so we hope you’ll join us on this journey. Please reach out with any questions.
Chat With Us
Chat with one of our instructors for a free consultation about our certifications, and what financing or scholarship* programs might be available for you, and get a free Nature Therapy infographic!
*Partial scholarships may be available. We’ll never sell or share your information outside of the Academy.